Monday, February 20, 2012

Green Smoothie Delight


Just the other day I was bragging on facebook about the cucumbers I’ve recently grown, and two friends of mine suggested that I put them into a green smoothie. “Ew” is what I just heard you say. I know. But I put my trust in their ideas and got to work, chopping up a cucumber, some spinach leaves, two Granny Smith apples, some celery, and some fresh mint from my herb garden.  I then blended it all with a bit of water and I was left with a strange looking, very fresh smelling smoothie. It tastes amazing. Not only did it taste great but it does wonders for your health too. The main benefit of the smoothie is that it helps your body eliminate acids and create an alkaline environment, one in which disease (including cancer) simply cannot grow. Thus you can see the benefits.

So here’s the basic recipe:

Two Granny smith apples, diced (not peeled).
A handful of baby spinach leaves.
Several fresh sticks of celery, chopped.
A large cucumber, sliced.

Place in a blender with a cup of water or so. You may need to add water if needed to retain a drinkable consistency. Make sure you blend it well, you don’t want to choke on an unblended piece of apple peel or chunk of celery. For a flavour hit try adding organic juice instead of water, or fresh/frozen berries.

Enjoy. Let me know if you like it.

Thanks to Janelle and Nicole for getting me onto them! And to Janelle for texting me pictures of her shake in progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment